Thursday, March 1

Estonia

Over the last few months, I seem to have developed a hobby of following elections, even for countries I know nothing about. For example, I know nothing about Estonia - though I hear it's a rising star in Europe these days - but I find myself following the elections taking place on Sunday. Anyway, here is the first of what may or may not become an irregular series of election-related posts.

Estonia claims to be the fist country to offer online voting in parliamentary elections. Only 30,000 out of 1 million eligible voters took up the offer - you need a special reader to scan your electronic national identity card. Somehow, I don't see this migrating to the US anytime soon. The actual stakes of the election don't seem too high. A center-right and a center-left party now govern in coalition, and it doesn't look like that's going to change.

If you have been to Estonia, or know any interesting factoids about it, please let me know.

No comments: